A Discussion About #ChurchToo & Church Hurt :: A Message From Christopher J Harris & An Interview With Mindy Tobin
In a special message and sermon, our host takes a unique approach and deals head on with the current social media trending topic, #ChurchToo and #MeToo. At the end of the message, our host – Christopher J Harris, takes some time and interviews Ms Mindy Tobin about her unique story and past experiences of hurt and abuse, with much of it through the church.
- Activist Tarana Burke is actually the founder of the #MeToo initiative.
- In the past 20 years, 17 million 700 thousand woman have been raped
- 1 out of every 4 women have experienced sexual violence.
- 1 out of every 6 men have experienced sexual violence
- Twitter users Emily Joy and Hannah Paasch, who took to social media to share their stories of abuse at the hands of church leaders under the hashtag #ChurchToo. From there, other men and women started coming forward with their stories, which range from being romantically pursued by youth pastors to being blamed for their own sexual abuse.
- According to Barna Research Group – Among unchurched people (37%) in the US avoid church life because of bad past experiences in a church or in relation to church people
- The Church has the capacity to wound and not always heal.
- God has a higher purpose for the church than to settle for abuse or even to turn a blind eye to that abuse.
- There are viable and healthy, well-rounded solutions for individuals, leaders, and churches to implement and be instructed by as you navigate moving towards healing and reconciliation (where necessary).
- We spoke about 10 things that Forgiveness IS and that Forgiveness is NOT.
Links/Resources Mentioned (some items mentioned directly or indirectly through prior research):
- Healing Your Church Hurt by Stephen Mansfield
- Authority Abusers by George Bloomer
- Has Christianity Failed You? by Ravi Zacharias
- Wounded By God’s People: Discovering How God’s Love Heals Our Hearts by Anne Graham Lotz
- Warning To The Seven Churches by Tina Blout
- Rid Of My Disgrace: Hope And Healing For Victims of Sexual Assault by Justin and Lindsey Holcomb
- The Wounded Heart: Hope For Adult Victims of Childhood Sexual Abuse by Dan Allender and Karen Lee-Thorp
If you desire to connect with Ms Mindy Tobin, the Interviewee, feel free to send us an email and we will connect you with her!
A Song Of Encouragement
For Coaching, Questions, or Additional Information:
You can contact us at email@example.com
Coming Soon To TuneIn
Enjoy what you’re hearing & seeing? Do you mind Rating & Reviewing This Podcast?
Your ratings and reviews help us place the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how I can better serve you.
If you have the desire to donate financially to The Wise Idea Podcast, you can do so here. A donation of any amount will be helpful in allowing us to creating the movement to INSPIRE WISDOM.
Christopher J. Harris, a native of Palatka, Fla., is currently Executive Pastor of Crossover Church of Tampa, Fla. He is also the Director of Administration & Vision Implementation overseeing the day to day operations of the Atlanta Headquarters office for Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship International. He’s served at ministries in Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Chicago,IL. He’s an author and blogger and most recently wrote a book titled, Temporary Assignments. He’s an alumnus of Florida State University, University of South Carolina, special studies at Princeton Theological Seminary and doctoral work at Nova Southeastern University. Harris currently resides in Florida with his wife Dr Carmen J Harris and their children.
You can check him out here: www.ChristopherJHarris.com
Here are Christopher’s Theological Beliefs: http://christopherjharris.com/what-i-believe/
My family for their commitment to the vision to inspire wisdom in others and release me to endeavors like this. To my Producer, Kevin Scullion. To Mindy Tobin for your transparency and launching into what God has for you! (Note: Want your name listed here? Leave a review of this podcast and you may find your name listed here…)