Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS
Episode 178 – A Story & Recovery Of Domestic Violence, Part 1
Episode sponsored by DiverseChurchJobs.com
October was / is Domestic Violence Month. We invited Ms Dana Anthony, a survivor and victor from Domestic Violence.
According to National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (just a sample of statistics on Domestic Violence):
- On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience severe intimate partner physical violence, intimate partner contact sexual violence, and/or intimate partner stalking with impacts such as injury, fearfulness, post-traumatic stress disorder, use of victim services, contraction of sexually transmitted diseases, etc.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have experienced some form of physical violence by an intimate partner. This includes a range of behaviors (e.g. slapping, shoving, pushing) and in some cases might not be considered “domestic violence.”
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence (e.g. beating, burning, strangling) by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
- Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries.
- Source (and MORE statistics)
Beyond these statistics, Dana shares her personal story. In Part 1 of this story, she sits down with our host, Christopher J Harris and shares honestly and transparently about being married to her abuser and how she navigated getting free and back on her feet.
If you are in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.
You can contact the Domestic Violence Hotline –
For anonymous, confidential help, 24/7, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE) or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY).
If you need further assistance or have questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For Coaching, Questions, or Additional Information:
You can contact us at email@example.com
– Subscribe via: iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn, RSS Feed, and Spotify
Enjoy what you’re hearing & seeing? Do you mind Rating & Reviewing This Podcast?
Your ratings and reviews help us place the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how I can better serve you.
If you have the desire to donate financially to The Wise Idea Podcast, you can do so here. A donation of any amount will be helpful in allowing us to creating the movement to INSPIRE WISDOM.
About Our Host:
Christopher J. Harris, a native of Palatka, Fla., is currently Executive Pastor of Crossover Church of Tampa, Fla. He is also the Director of Administration & Vision Implementation working collaboratively with the Presiding Bishop’s Office and Administration for Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship International. He’s served at ministries in Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Chicago,IL. He’s an author and blogger with two books, Temporary Assignments and Church Strategies and Ministry Systems. He’s an alumnus of Florida State University, University of South Carolina, special studies at Princeton Theological Seminary and doctoral work at Nova Southeastern University. He is the Founder / CEO of DiverseChurchJobs.com, a platform helping people of color in ministry to find ministry opportunities. Harris currently resides in Florida with his wife Dr Carmen J Harris and their children.
You can check him out here: www.ChristopherJHarris.com
You can see his Social media here on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Periscope, and LinkedIn ALL at @CJHarrisOne
Here are Christopher’s Theological Beliefs: http://christopherjharris.com/what-i-believe/
He is affiliated with the following organizations (among others): www.CrossoverChurch.org , https://www.fullgospelbaptist.org/, and https://www.biblicalleadership.com/
My family for their commitment to the vision to inspire wisdom in others and release me to endeavors like this. To my Producer, Kevin Scullion, our Guests, our Wise Idea Family and our many, many listeners from around the world. (Note: Want your name listed here? Leave a review of this podcast and you may find your name listed here…)